SOUTH KITSAP, Wash. — Health officials have confirmed that Long Lake has been hit by toxic cyanobacteria – also known as blue-green algae.

The Kitsap Sun reports (http://bit.ly/2z4qZRR ) that the public should avoid all contact with Long Lake due to elevated levels of the toxic bacteria.

The Kitsap Public Health District said Friday that toxic cyanobacteria can make people sick and can kill pets, fish, waterfowl and livestock.

People should avoid all contact with the green-hued lake until further notice, and those with pets and livestock should limit their access to the lake.

The agency posted signs around the lake warning about the potential for toxins earlier this summer. Samples taken Wednesday confirmed the higher levels of toxins.

No illnesses from contact with the lake have been reported to Kitsap Public Health.


Information from: Kitsap Sun, http://www.kitsapsun.com/

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.