RADFORD, Va. — Court records say authorities who found a Virginia freshman unresponsive in a Radford University dorm were responding to a report of an alcohol poisoning.

The college in southwest Virginia has said 19-year-old Jacob B. Terry’s death is being investigated as an accident, but few other details have been released.

Citing a search warrant filed in circuit court, The Roanoke Times and WSLS-TV report authorities were called to a dorm room early Tuesday morning because of an alcohol poisoning.

The warrant says Terry “displayed signs of extreme intoxication” and was unconscious.

He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police searched the room for evidence related to the purchase or possession of alcohol. According to the warrant, they seized vodka, fortified wine and other unknown liquids.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.