WILKES-BARRE, Pa. — A judge has denied a request for a new attorney for a man accused of firing a semi-automatic rifle at officers outside a northeastern Pennsylvania shopping center two years ago.

The Wilkes-Barre Citizens’ Voice (http://bit.ly/2z65sbl ) reports that the Luzerne County judge rejected 33-year-old Scott Sargent’s request Friday in the attempted murder case.

Authorities said police exchanged fire with Sargent in the crowded Wilkes-Barre Township parking lot near Walmart in October 2015, wounding him in the abdomen.

Prosecutors called the new attorney request a delay tactic by the defendant, who was judged competent last month for trial. Jury selection is scheduled Oct. 16.

Prosecutors also said if a “guilty but mentally ill” defense is contemplated, they should be told. Defense attorney Joseph Yeager said he hasn’t committed to that strategy.


Information from: The Citizens’ Voice, http://www.citizensvoice.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.