HONOLULU — As the city of Honolulu is in the process of searching for a replacement police chief, acting Chief Cary Okimoto said he plans to retire at the end of November.
Okimoto made the announcement to police department personnel in an email sent on Friday, Hawaii News Now reported (http://bit.ly/2y7Hej1 ).
“It has been a privilege to have worked alongside the courageous officers and dedicated civilians who are the backbone of the department,” Okimoto said in the email. “Over the span of my career, I have witnessed the endless sacrifices that you have made to ensure our community’s safety and the deep commitment each of you have to serving the people of Hawaii.”
Okimoto became acting chief in December after former Police Chief Louis Kealoha stepped down amid a federal investigation. A federal grand jury is looking into allegations of civil rights abuses and corruption. Kealoha’s lawyers have denied any wrongdoing.
Last week, the police commission selected seven finalists for the chief position to move on to the next round. Finalists included Honolulu Police Maj. Susan Ballard, a former Pennsylvania police major, a retired chief in Texas and Thomas Aiu, a retired U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent.
The commission plans to announce a replacement by the end of this month.
Information from: KGMB-TV, http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/