DEXTER, Mich. — A fire that started in an area being used to store woodchips in southeastern Michigan has been smoldering for days.

Fire crews responded on Monday evening after large pile of woodchips caught fire in a gravel pit. No injuries were reported, but the fire caused widely visible smoke plumes.

Dexter Area Fire Chief Robert Smith tells The Ann Arbor News that the fire may have started due to spontaneous combustion. He said Thursday he’s been checking on it a few times a day and it could smolder into Saturday.

The gravel pit is located near Dexter, about 40 miles (60 kilometers) east of Detroit.

Information from: The Ann Arbor News,

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.