MONROE, N.C. — Authorities are investigating a fatal fire in a workshop contained in a shed.

News outlets report 75-year-old Chester Lynn Eubanks was killed Sunday morning while attempting to light a wood stove using a flammable liquid in the shed. The Union County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement on Facebook that some of the liquid spilled on Eubanks, who was unable to extinguish the fire before suffering fatal injuries.

Deputies have ruled his death an accident.

The sheriff’s office says that he used a motorized scooter for a disability. Deputies say the fire caused minimal damage to the building.

Eubanks’ wife suffered burns to her hands while trying to help her husband.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.