FAIRFAX, Va. — Officials say a student at George Mason University in Virginia has died after he possibly took a hallucinogenic drug and then crashed through a fifth-floor dormitory window.

GMU spokesman Michael Sandler says witnesses told police the 19-year-old sophomore was on a hallucinogenic substance when he ran through the Potomac Heights residence hall window and fell to the ground Saturday. Sandler says when police arrived, the student was alive but unresponsive.

News outlets report Campus Police Chief Carl Rowan Jr. said in an email that no foul play was suspected, but other students may have the hallucinogenic drug and could be at risk.

Sandler declined to say what type of hallucinogen the student is believed to have taken. A toxicology exam by the medical examiner is pending.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.