LAS VEGAS — The Latest on the upcoming release of O.J. Simpson (all times local):

5:55 p.m.

Florida’s attorney general doesn’t want O.J. Simpson to return to Florida after he’s released from prison in Nevada.

Attorney General Pam Bondi sent a letter to Florida Department of Corrections Secretary Julie L. Jones on Friday saying that she should immediately tell Nevada officials that Florida objects to Simpson serving his parole in Florida.

Simpson’s attorney, Malcolm LaVergne, said earlier Friday there’s “no doubt” Simpson is going to Florida.

Besides the robbery and kidnapping Simpson was convicted of in Nevada in 2008, Bondi listed the two murders for which Simpson was found civilly liable as reasons to reject his relocation. She also noted a history of violence and destructive behavior, including a time he was arrested for speeding in his powerboat in a manatee zone.

Florida corrections officials have said in the past that they must accept the transfer if Nevada’s request meets the established criteria.

Simpson previously lived in Florida before his 2008 conviction.


9:20 a.m.

O.J. Simpson’s lawyer says the former football star will live in Florida as planned after being released from a Nevada prison.

Malcolm LaVergne tells The Associated Press that there’s “no doubt” Simpson is going to Florida. It’s not clear where. He says the timing of Simpson’s release is up to authorities and he doesn’t know when it will be.

Citing safety concerns, Nevada prisons spokeswoman Brooke Keast says Simpson could be kept at a corrections facility for several weeks if necessary.

A state parole board in July set Sunday as the date for Simpson to walk free.

Simpson has been behind bars since 2008 for armed robbery in a botched bid in Las Vegas to retrieve items that he says were stolen from him after his acquittal in the 1994 killings of his ex-wife and her friend in Los Angeles.


5:30 a.m.

O.J. Simpson’s attorney says he expects the former football star and actor to be released from a Nevada prison “a few days” after Sunday, the first eligible date for Simpson to be paroled under a decision reached by a state panel in July.

Malcolm LaVergne tells ABC’s “Good Morning America” that Simpson is “making arrangements” for his release but nothing has been finalized.

Simpson is being released after spending nine years behind bars in a 2008 armed robbery and kidnapping case. LaVergne says Simpson wants to see his family and enjoy “the very simple pleasures” of life, including eating seafood and steak and getting a new iPhone.

Simpson was acquitted of the 1994 killings of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. He was later found liable for their deaths in civil court.