LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — The Latest on the assault of three guards by inmates at two Arkansas prisons (all times local):

3:05 p.m.

Authorities say two guards assaulted by inmates at an Arkansas prison have been released from the hospital, while an officer attacked at a separate facility remains hospitalized.

Arkansas Department of Correction spokesman Solomon Graves said Friday that a guard who suffered multiple lacerations after being attacked by several inmates at the Varner Unit a day earlier had been discharged from the hospital. A second guard who had suffered a single, unspecified injury was treated and released on Thursday night.

Graves said a guard who was assaulted by an inmate at the Maximum Security Unit in Tucker on Thursday was still hospitalized. That officer suffered multiple injuries to the face and head.

The attacks are among a string of violent disturbances at Arkansas’ prisons in recent months.


1:01 p.m.

Arkansas’ governor is calling for more safeguards at the state’s prisons after three guards were assaulted by inmates and hospitalized in separate attacks at two facilities.

Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Friday said he’s asked the state Correction Department director to come up with an action plan with options to address safety following a string of violent disturbances at state prisons. Most recently, two guards were assaulted by several inmates Thursday at the Varner Unit, hours after a guard was assaulted by a prisoner in another incident at the Maximum Security Unit in Tucker.

Hutchinson said Thursday’s attacks caused him great concern. Other recent disturbances have included several inmates holding three guards hostage in August at the Maximum Security Unit.