Two reported threats at local high schools this week prompted police investigations.
No one was injured. The investigations were at Whiteland Community High School and Edinburgh High School and Middle School.
A Whiteland Community High School student posted a threat about “shooting up the school” on social media, prompting an investigation, police said.
In Edinburgh, police said a report of a threat on social media involving Edinburgh High School and Middle School has been ruled unsubstantiated, but has resulted in some copycat behavior.
The 17-year-old Clark-Pleasant student posted a picture of himself with a gun tucked in his waistband with comments about school, according to a news release from Clark-Pleasant schools. The post also included the words “thought you could stop me,” the Greenwood Police Department said in a news release. Police learned of the post Thursday night.
Greenwood police and Clark-Pleasant schools received multiple reports from students and parents who had seen the post, the police department news release said.
They found the gun in the picture, which was a black BB gun, police said.
During an interview with police, the teen said that he had never made any threats regarding a shooting at the school, police said. Detectives also interviewed other people who had been with the teen Thursday, and no one heard him mention a shooting, police said.
Police also searched his home, and found no evidence of a threat, police said. Detectives plan to examine the teen’s phone and computer.
The teen was allowed to return home with his mother. The investigation is continuing, police said.
The high school is running as usual, but more police are on campus today, the school’s news release said.
“Social media can be a great communication tool, but it can also be very damaging to individuals and organizations. Please be aware what your children have access to and how they are connected to the world with these applications,” Clark-Pleasant Superintendent Patrick Spray said in the release.
Edinburgh Assistant Police Chief David Lutz said that the department learned of a threat last week that was supposedly made on social media that something would happen Friday at the school.
However, working with the school district, Lutz said police determined the threat had not occurred and the comments on social media were religious in nature, and not threatening.
However, at least one copycat incident has occurred on social media involving a middle school student that the school is currently dealing with as far as disciplinary action, he said.
“It is safe to go to school,” Lutz said. “Nothing is going on. There is nothing to be afraid of,” Lutz said.