CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Officials say chemical fumes have sickened 24 workers at a Tennessee plant that makes filters.

Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner told media the incident was reported about 10 a.m. Wednesday at Southern Filter Media. He said workers were using a new chemical with heat and it began emitting fumes that made them sick. He said the employees evacuated the facility and called emergency crews.

Garner said a handful of workers complained of nausea, vomiting and shortness of breath. Others had less severe symptoms. Crews took 24 workers to area hospitals to get checked out as a precaution.

According to the company’s website, South Filter Media produces dry filtration filter bags.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.