TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — A school official says a battery in a small electronic device ignited in a student’s backpack at a Utah high school, leaving two students with minor chemical burns on their arms and one with smoke inhalation.

Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley tells KSL-TV (http://bit.ly/2vCb5vT ) the three Taylorsville High School students were treated by Unified Fire Authority paramedics after the 9:45 a.m. Tuesday incident. None was hospitalized.

Horsley says the backpack was on the floor of a classroom when it began smoking and the device exploded.

The school spokesman says it was clearly not an intentional act to harm students or a terrorist threat.

He says classes resumed in the afternoon.

Information from: KSL-TV, http://www.ksl.com/

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.