Pair accused of starting fire in high school

Two Edinburgh High School students are facing suspension after an attempt to light a fire in a school bathroom Wednesday morning.

The two students were seen going in and out of a bathroom that then had a smoke smell coming from it. When questioned by school staff, one student said the other had lit a paper towel on fire and was trying to get the sprinkler system to go off. The student told the principal that she had then thrown the paper towel in the trash can and put water on it, an Edinburgh Police Department report said.

Security footage showed the two students walking into the bathroom, exiting it, and then coming back shortly later to check in it again, the report said.

Principal Kevin Rockey told officers that the students would be suspended for the rest of the year, the report said.

Public input sought on county’s future

Local community development group Journey Johnson County is hosting a forum for residents to discuss the county’s future.

The meeting will start at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Greenwood City Center, 300 S. Madison Ave. Roger Brooks, an expert on tourism and community branding, will speak.

Organizers invite all residents to attend and give their input and thoughts.

Learn more about Journey Johnson County and Roger Brooks International on Facebook.

Author photo
Jacob Tellers is a reporter at the Daily Journal. He can be reached at jtellers@dailyjournal.net or 317-736-2702.