RENO, Nev. — The Reno Fire Department had a busy day on Thursday, responding to three fires and 70 calls for service within an eight-hour timeframe.

The first fire was in a house and is believed to have been started by a stove. One person inside was treated for possible smoke inhalation.

Firefighters found a charred couch and other debris inside the second structure, which was reported about an hour after the first fire.

The third fire was in an apartment. Firefighters believe it started in the kitchen. The lone resident was displaced and will get housing assistance.

Reno Battalion Chief John McNamara said firefighters were on pace to respond to more than 175 calls within 24 hours.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.