THOMASVILLE, N.C. — A 9-year-old boy is credited with saving his family from a house fire in North Carolina.

News outlets report that Levi Harris woke up four other people at the Thomasville house Thursday morning, helping them to escape.

The Thomasville Fire Department says a candle started the fire around 7:30 a.m. A neighbor called emergency personnel, and the fire was under control by 8 a.m. No injuries were reported, but Harris’ dog died in the fire.

The home is considered to be a total loss.

The American Red Cross said in a statement that it is assisting the displaced residents.


Information from: Winston-Salem Journal, http://www.journalnow.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.