Child hospitalized after accidental overdose

A 1-year-old boy is in the hospital after police said he accidentally overdosed on prescription medication.

The parents called 911 after noticing their child was not acting right, and finding a partially chewed pill and another pill that appeared wet and chalky, according to a Franklin Police Department news release.

They found the child had gotten into a purse on a nightstand that had the prescription medication inside, the release said. Police determined the incident was an accident after investigating, the release said.

The 21-month-old was initially taken to Johnson Memorial Hospital, and then was flown to Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health on a medical helicopter, the release said.

He was listed in serious but stable condition Wednesday, the news release said.

Author photo
Annie Goeller is managing editor of the Daily Journal. She can be reached at agoeller@dailyjournal.net or 317-736-2718.