Section of Greenwood Park Mall evacuated due to gas leak

The northwest section of Greenwood Park Mall was evacuated for about 15 minutes Thursday afternoon due to a gas leak.

A relief valve broke off below the meter outside BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, Greenwood Fire Department spokesperson Chad Tatman said.

The leak was detected after the smell was noticed about 12:15 p.m. Because the gas had also spread into one of the mall corridors, the northwest section of the building was evacuated by mall staff prior to the fire department arriving, he said.

The gas company arrived shortly after the fire department and fixed the leak. After the department checked to make sure the gas hadn’t spread and that the building was properly ventilated, that portion of the mall was re-opened, Tatman said.

No injuries were reported, he said.

Author photo
Jacob Tellers is a reporter at the Daily Journal. He can be reached at jtellers@dailyjournal.net or 317-736-2702.