The final minutes quickly turned into a free-throw exhibition and enabled Columbus North’s boys basketball team to walk out of Franklin with a 59-46 victory Tuesday night, but before the whistles became the dominant sound down the stretch, fans were treated to a hard-nosed effort from all of the involved parties.

That effort bore no fruit for the Grizzly Cubs, however, who watched as the Bull Dogs scored 19 of their 23 fourth-quarter points at the foul line to pull away for their eighth consecutive win.

“I thought our kids earned a better fate than what they received,” Franklin coach Brad Dickey said. “It’s frustrating that we put in so much work and weren’t rewarded for it.”

Story continues below gallery

Click here to purchase photos from this gallery

Down 18-16 at the end of a back-and-forth first quarter, the Bull Dogs pulled ahead 23-20 early in the second on an Alex King 3-pointer and a steal and layup by Zach Green. The Grizzly Cubs (11-6) answered by scoring seven consecutive points and holding North scoreless for five minutes before a King basket with 59 seconds left Franklin with a 27-25 edge at the break.

Columbus North (13-6) quickly snatched the momentum coming out of the locker room, scoring the first nine points of the third quarter to take a 34-27 lead. Franklin again had a response, though, outscoring the Bull Dogs 10-2 over the final 4:15 of the period and reclaiming the upper hand, 37-36, on a buzzer-beating corner 3 by Reece Thomson.

A three-point play by Green broke a tie with 5:38 to go in the fourth and gave North a 44-41 lead. A driving layup by Drew got the Grizzly Cubs back within one, but the Bull Dogs hit a couple of free throws and Stephon Peters-Smith scored off a King steal to stretch it to 48-43. King made two more from the line with 2:47 left, and he added four more when the Franklin bench was whistled for a pair of technical fouls 11 seconds later, effectively putting the game out of reach at 54-43.

King finished with a game-high 27 points for North after making 11 of 12 free throws in the fourth quarter. The Bull Dogs were 25 of 35 from the line overall, hitting 19 of 26 in the final eight minutes.

“Second half, we started on a good jump right there, got some momentum and then were able to close it out in the fourth quarter,” Columbus North coach Paul Ferguson said.

Despite the setback, the Grizzly Cubs are ready to continue moving forward.

“I thought we played very hard,” said senior guard Jacob Rockey, who led a balanced Franklin lineup with nine points. “Coach put together a great game plan and we came out and executed up through three quarters. The fourth quarter just didn’t go our way, but I thought we competed well tonight.”

Author photo
Ryan O'Leary is sports editor for the Daily Journal. He can be reached at or 317-736-2715.