Man sentenced to probation in SWAT incident

A man was sentenced to nearly a year on probation after several 911 calls led to a SWAT team being called to his Bargersville home last year.

Carl E. Jackson, 45, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful use of 911 services and was sentenced to a year on probation, with credit for nine days served in jail.

Jackson also was required to undergo a mental health evaluation and take classes, according to court records.

A second misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct was dismissed.

The charges stemmed from a July 2016 incident in Bargersville, where police said Jackson had repeatedly called 911 and made threats to police, referencing a recent police shooting in Dallas.

Police said Jackson originally called police to his home on County Road 144, near Smokey Row Road, because he wanted to discuss the death of a relative that had been ruled a suicide. When officers got to the home, Jackson appeared intoxicated and upset, and had a rifle on his porch. Officers asked if the gun was loaded, and Jackson said that it was and that he was ex-military and a good shot, police said.

He also brought up the recent shooting of 12 police officers in Dallas, calling it a good thing that needed to happen more often, police said.

Police seized Jackson’s gun and left, and Jackson began calling 911. He called at least 40 times, and police got a search warrant to look for any weapons, since Jackson had said he had more inside. The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team was called in to help, and they surrounded Jackson’s home and arrested him, police said.

The situation was unfortunate, Johnson County deputy prosecutor Drew Eggers said. Jackson had recently lost a relative and was having difficulty coping, he said.

Eggers said he hoped the mental health evaluation and classes would help Jackson better himself.

“What we wanted to do was to get Mr. Jackson some help and make sure he followed up with that, so that was why the mental health evaluation was part of the plea,” Eggers said.

Jackson’s attorney, Jennifer Jones Auger, declined to comment on the case.

Author photo
Annie Goeller is managing editor of the Daily Journal. She can be reached at or 317-736-2718.