Letter: Base road usage tax on weight

To the editor:

The state should implement a vehicle weight tax (usage tax) to be paid when you renew your plates. The county has its wheel tax and the state would have its weight tax. They could probably reduce the fuel tax substantially.

This usage tax would be collected and placed in a separate account — not placed in the general fund. It would be paid by all vehicles that contribute to road and bridge damage. If you don’t have a motor vehicle you don’t pay the tax.

Jim Long

White River Township