School News – October 31

Center Grove students named All-American band

Three Center Grove High School students are going All-American.Organizers of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl visited the school to select Trent Alexander, Jeffrey Huff and Sidney Richardson to the 2017 U.S. Army All-American Marching Band.

The U.S. Army All-American Marching Band performs each year at halftime of the nationally-broadcast U.S. Army All-American Bowl. 125 students nationwide are selected.

$2,000 scholarships available to students

Johnson County REMC is offering two $2,000 scholarships to high school seniors planning to attend an Indiana college or university. To be eligible, a recipient’s parent or guardian must be REMC members.Applications are available from high school guidance counselors, at the REMC office at 750 International Drive in Franklin and on the utility’s website,

Application deadline is Jan. 31.

Roncalli High names alumnus of the year

Roncalli High School has named its alumnus of the year.The school’s Alumni Association presented Marian University Head Football coach Mark Henninger, class of 1992, with the 2016 Alumnus of the Year Award.

Henninger played football at Roncalli for coach Bruce Scifres’ first two teams in 1990 and 1991 then went on to play defensive back at Wittenberg University. He was named Marian University’s second head coach in 2013.

College Goal Sunday offers FAFSA help

Families needing help filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid can get help at a national event.College Goal Sunday is 2 p.m. Nov. 13. Volunteers who know about the financial aid process will help families fill out the FAFSA.

Local sites include Ivy Tech Community College’s Franklin campus, 2205 McClain Drive and Beech Grove High School, 5330 Hornet Ave.

Students should bring completed 2015 IRS tax forms, W-2 forms and other income and benefit information. Students who work must bring their tax information, too.

Students and parents are encouraged to apply for their U.S. Department of Education FSA identifications at before coming to the event.

Volunteers will walk through the online form line-by-line and answer families’ questions as needed.

Students who attend can also enter to win a $1,000 scholarship.

Grad school grant offered by sorority

Graduate students who are studying guidance or counseling can apply for a grant. Nu Tau Chapter of Delta Theta Tau Sorority will award a $5,000 grant to graduate-level students. The winner will be chosen based on financial need and scholastic ability.Applications can found at Click on the philanthropy tab.

The deadline is Dec. 10.

Volunteers needed to help teach English skills

People interested in teaching others English can volunteer with the Adult Learning Center. The center is looking for volunteer tutors to help adults who need help with their English literacy skills, including English as a second language learners. Tutors meet at a Johnson County Public Library location with their learners for at least one hour per week for a minimum of six months. Tutors are needed for one-on-one learning, conversation partners and adult basic education.Tutors are not required to be familiar with a language other than English.

To become a tutor, contact Wendy Preilis by phone at 317-738-4677 or by email at

Scholarship available for aspiring teachers

Students who want to become teachers and stay in Indiana can apply for a scholarship. The Commission for Higher Education announced the Next Generation Hoosier Educators Scholarship Program, offering up to $7,500 each year of college for students who commit to teaching in Indiana for five years after earning their degrees. The scholarship is available to 200 students across the state who either graduate in the highest 20 percent of their class or earn a score in the top 20th percentile on the SAT or ACT.After college graduation, students must get a teaching license and teach in Indiana for five consecutive years.

Applications will be accepted between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31.

Students interested in applying need to be nominated by a teacher and submit the nomination form to the Indiana Commission for Higher Education.