RALEIGH, N.C. — The Latest on the recovery from Hurricane Matthew in North Carolina (all times local):
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory says the death toll associated with Hurricane Matthew has risen to 18.
McCrory told a briefing Tuesday afternoon that two people drowned in Robeson County. There were also drownings in Columbus and Wayne counties. Each was attributed to cars either being submerged or swept away in flood waters, but no additional details were immediately available.
The governor reiterated that residents should heed the advice of government leaders who are telling them not to try to drive through flood waters. He also told people not to drive around barricades and to obey instructions from all authorities.
The N.C. Highway Patrol has identified the trooper who shot and killed a man who they say confronted him and other law enforcement officers as they searched for people trapped by flood waters.
A statement released by the patrol Tuesday said Sgt. J.F. Hinson and two members of the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office were conducting a search and rescue operation in Lumberton on Monday. Lt. Jeff Gordon said the three officers encountered a man who became hostile toward the officers and displayed a handgun.
Gordon said Hinson saw the gun and shot the man.
Hinson is a 13-year veteran assigned to Troop B, Lumberton patrol office in Robeson County. Gordon said Hinson has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation, which is standard operating procedure in any shooting involving the patrol. The State Bureau of Investigation is conducting the investigation.
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory warns that parts of the state are about to face flooding left by Hurricane Matthew.
McCrory said in a news conference in Raleigh on Tuesday that flooding is expected to create big problems for the rest of this week in Greenville, Rocky Mount and Goldsboro.
McCrory said crews have rescued more than 2,000 people in more than 600 rescue operations already. He said most of those have been in Cumberland and Robeson counties.
More than 1,000 National Guardsmen are assisting state and local law enforcement and emergency responders.
All ferries have returned to normal operations with the exception of the Hatteras-Ocracoke run. But McCrory said N.C. Highway 12 is closed at the Bonner Bridge. The storm caused some damage in the equipment being used in the construction of the replacement bridge.
Robeson County officials say they’ve found the body of a man who was in a car that was washed away in the flooding that followed Hurricane Matthew.
Emergency Management Director Stephanie Chavis said the man’s body was found late Monday afternoon after an extensive search.
The man’s name has not been released.
The death brings to 15 the number reported during the storm. All but one of the deaths so far have involved motor vehicles.
Chavis says officials have been working to contact people thought to be missing that are just not getting phone calls because of power outages.
She says she’s not sure what searchers will find once the flooding is over.
Chavis says state it’s hard to get help to everyone quickly because of flooded roads.
Transportation officials in North Carolina say problems continue in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.
The Transportation Department said Tuesday morning that problems were being reported across central and eastern North Carolina because of flooding and debris.
Interstate 95 is closed in several locations because of flooding. Major closures are reported on a 15-mile stretch from Dunn to Fayetteville and an 18-mile stretch from St. Pauls to south of Lumberton.
On Interstate 40, a seven-mile stretch is closed from Near Newton Grove and Benson.
A number of other major roads are also closed because of flooding.
Moore County officials say a dam that’s been in danger of a breech is holding, so far.
Deputy Public Safety Director Scott Brooks said that crews worked until about 2 a.m. Tuesday to get sandbags in place to reduce the threat at Woodlake Dam near Vass. Brooks said crews would be out again later Tuesday morning to finish. He says the work will need to be inspected before residents can return home.
Brooks says he doesn’t know how quickly that inspection can occur. He says the evacuation ordered late Monday is the second in the last three days.
The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for the area in Moore County, as well as Hoke and Cumberland counties because of the danger a dam failure would pose.