TUPELO, Miss. — Construction is underway on two storm shelters in the Tupelo Public School District, while two other shelters are getting closer to breaking ground.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2cTyFdf ) shelters are being built at Thomas Street and Joyner elementary schools, but shelters at Carver and Tupelo High School are still in the planning stages.
These shelters are being funded by FEMA grants, which cover 90 percent of the cost, with the district paying the other 10 percent.
The shelter at Tupelo High School was designed to double as a new indoor athletic facility.
The shelter buildings will be used as multi-purpose classroom spaces for activities like physical education, art and music.
Information from: Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, http://djournal.com