MINNEAPOLIS — A jury has convicted a Minneapolis man of first-degree murder for shooting his girlfriend and her daughter to death.

The Hennepin County jury took only a couple of hours to convict Gonzalo Galvan late Tuesday afternoon. The 51-year-old will automatically be sentenced to life in prison at his Oct. 6 hearing.

Galvan called 911 last September to report that he had shot 48-year-old Eugenia Tallman and her 15-year-old daughter, Victoria Alvarez. The couple’s seven-year-old son was unharmed but witnessed the shooting.

The criminal complaint says Galvan told police she was leaving him and taking both children.

Court records show Galvan had been charged with domestic assault at least three times previously, but each time the charges were dismissed.