Murder trial begins this week

A jury trial began this week for a man police said shot a Greenwood restaurant worker who was involved with his wife last year.

Candelario Cruz-Trujillo, 38, of Indianapolis, was arrested last year on a charge of murder. Police said Cruz-Trujillo shot and killed Miguel Angel Hernandez, 34, of Indianapolis.

The shooting happened Sept. 30, 2015, outside the Four Seasons Restaurant on State Road 135, just south of County Line Road. Hernandez had just arrived at work, and was shot while getting out of his car in the parking lot, police said.

Jury selection began Monday in Johnson County Circuit Court, and opening statements were planned to begin once jurors were chosen, according to the court. Cruz-Trujillo is being represented by Andrew Baldwin and Mike Kyle.

Police quickly focused on Cruz-Trujillo after speaking with Hernandez’s wife in the hours after the shooting. When police asked who might want to hurt her husband, she told them about an affair that had been going on between Hernandez and Cruz-Trujillo’s wife and tension and threats between the two men, police said.

Cruz-Trujillo knew that Hernandez worked at the restaurant, police said. People inside the restaurant called police when they heard gunshots and found Hernandez dead in the parking lot with shell casings next to him on the ground.

Police began searching for Cruz-Trujillo and asked the U.S. Marshal Service for help. He was arrested the next day.

Cruz-Trujillo spoke with investigators after his arrest, and had told them he shot Hernandez because of the affair, police said.

He could face up to 65 years in prison if convicted of murder.

Annie Goeller is managing editor of the Daily Journal. She can be reached at or 317-736-2718.