No one was injured when a stray bullet went across the street and into another home in a Franklin neighborhood, police said.
Around noon Sunday, police were called to a home in Cumberland Trails, off U.S. 31, where a homeowner found a bullet had been fired through his garage door and into the microwave in his kitchen, according to the Franklin Police Department report. The resident had not been home, and noticed the damage when he returned to his house, the report said.
The bullet appeared to have struck the microwave in the kitchen, which is on the wall that borders the garage, but did not come into the home, the report said.
Police began talking to neighbors of the home along Charles Drive, to look for witnesses.
The resident across the street told police he had been cleaning his gun, and the weapon had accidentally fired. He had looked for any holes in his garage door, and didn’t find any, so he thought the bullet had not left his home, the report said. Officers found a small hole in the garage door, the report said.
The two neighbors, who are friends, said they would work out a way to repair the damage, the report said.