Edinburgh man dies hours after auto accident

Police are investigating the death of an Edinburgh man after a crash on Interstate 65.

When police were called to the accident shortly after 1 a.m. Thursday, Devin Streeval, 29, was standing up, talking and refused medical treatment.

Two hours later, he died at an Indianapolis hospital after having a seizure, according to a news release from Indiana State Police.

Investigators don’t know if Streeval died from injuries in the crash or from another issue. An autopsy is being done, the release said.

The crash near the Edinburgh exit happened when the vehicle Streeval was in rolled over. Police said Alyssa Caudill, 28, of Columbus, was driving. Officers found Streeval standing outside the vehicle in a ditch and Caudill sitting in the driver’s seat when they arrived, the release said. That area of the interstate had been under construction, but crews wrapped up work there for the winter last year.

Both Streeval and Caudill were injured but were conscious and alert and said they did not want medical treatment, the release said. Both said they wanted to sign medical release forms to avoid being taken to the hospital, the release said.

Shortly after, Streeval began having a seizure, and both he and Caudill were taken to Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis to be checked out.

Streeval died about 3:15 a.m., about two hours after the accident, the release said.

Police did not release any other information on Thursday and said they are investigating the death. As part of the investigation, they will also do lab tests on the driver, which is typical, the release said.

They also want to determine if Streeval died from injuries he got in the crash, or if he had some other pre-existing medical condition, the release said.

An autopsy was planned for today at the Marion County Coroner’s Office.

Author photo
Annie Goeller is managing editor of the Daily Journal. She can be reached at agoeller@dailyjournal.net or 317-736-2718.