Tired of the tree already? Here’s what to do

Daily Journal staff reports

With after-Christmas sales in full swing, you might be thinking about taking down your decorations after the holidays.

Local communities are offering different options for disposal or recycling of real, organic Christmas trees.

The Johnson County Recycling District will accept trees for recycling through Jan. 11 at the following locations. Look for signs designating recycling areas:

•Center Grove High School (by the baseball diamond), 2717 S. Morgantown Road, Greenwood

•Johnson County fairgrounds in the grassy median close to the Purdue Extension office), 250 Fairground St., Franklin

•Indian Creek Intermediate School (in the grassy area of the teachers parking lot), 1000 Indian Meadows Drive, Trafalgar

•McCarty Mulch, 100 Bluffdale Road, Greenwood.

Trees must be free of all lights, tinsel, ornaments and bags. For more information, contact the Johnson County Recycling District at 738-2546.

If you live in a city or town, here is how you can get rid of your tree:

•Greenwood will remove trees from curbs. Trees should not be bagged, and all ornaments and tinsel should be taken off.

•Whiteland’s street department will remove trees from curbs in front of houses.

•New Whiteland asks that residents cut trees into sections no longer than 4 feet before placing them on the curb. One tree per home will be accepted through the end of January. Additional trees will be taken for $15 each.

•Edinburgh will pick up trees from curbs after Christmas.

•Franklin residents can put trees between the sidewalk and the street between Jan. 4 and 15 on designated trash days. Trees should be cut into 4-foot sections.