Bomb threat suspect found

Police have identified the person responsible for a bomb threat that prompted a lockdown at Franklin Community High School last week and canceled classes the last day before Christmas break.

Franklin police now know it was a Franklin Community High School student who called the school on Dec. 17 and made threats of a homemade bomb in the athletics wing of the building, Franklin Police Chief Tim O’Sullivan said. After the threat was made, police searched that area of the school and found nothing.

Police and school officials have not released the identity of the student or what grade he or she is in.

The student could be expelled, Superintendent David Clendening said.

Earlier that week, school officials and police were investigating two drawings of a gun with the words “shoot up the school” that were found inside restrooms at Franklin Community High School. But after identifying the student who is responsible for the bomb threat, police now know the threat and the drawings are separate incidents, O’Sullivan said.

Police declined to give details about the investigation, including how they found the student responsible for the threat.

The case has been turned over to juvenile authorities, according to a Franklin Police Department news release. The juvenile probation department is responsible for reviewing potential criminal cases against juveniles.

Police were not releasing any other information Wednesday.

The high school will conduct its own investigation, and the student will face disciplinary action by the school, Clendening said.

“Our main purpose is to put the community at ease so kids can come back to school after Christmas break with nothing to worry about,” O’Sullivan said.

After the threat was made on Dec. 17, the athletics wing, including the gym, locker rooms and wrestling room, were evacuated, the school was put on lockdown, and dismissal was delayed. The threat was made the same day that police across central Indiana and the nation were investigating other school threats.

School officials decided to cancel school on Friday, which would have been the final day for finals before break. Now, students who did not finish their finals will take them when they return from Christmas break.

Corey Elliot is a reporter at the Daily Journal. He can be reached at or 317-736-2719.