The holidays are a popular time of year to donate, and if you are looking for a cause to support, here is a look at some of the local agencies and what they need.

Johnson County has multiple organizations and groups that help struggling families and individuals through food pantries, toy drives and other services. Most of the organizations have had an increase in the number of people in need that they serve since last year, officials said.

From children’s toys to canned foods, almost any item in your home could be put to use if donated.

Not only do the organizations need money and donations, they also need volunteers.

Story continues below gallery

At 82, Ruby Riota continues to volunteer when she can at Johnson County Senior Services, an organization that provides free transportation, food and medical supplies for seniors in need.

“I love volunteering because it is so satisfying and provides instant gratification,” Riota said.

Here are some of the organizations in Johnson County that people can donate to, along with information on how to do it:

Good Cheer Fund

What’s needed? Monetary donations.

Where do the donations go? All of the money goes toward the food bill to fill baskets with perishable and nonperishable foods. Last year’s bill was more than $40,000 for 800 baskets.

How to donate: Donations can be mailed to the Daily Journal, P.O. Box 699, Franklin, IN 46131, or dropped off at the Daily Journal at 30 S. Water St., Second floor, Suite A, in Franklin. Checks must be made out to the Good Cheer Fund.

The Social of Greenwood

What’s needed? Volunteers, food for the food pantry and monetary donations.

Where do the donations go? Programming, the food pantry and operational expenses for services for those who are 50 and older in Johnson County.

How to donate: Donations can be dropped off at The Social of Greenwood, 550 Polk St., Greenwood. Business hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Lord’s Cupboard

What’s needed? Toys, items for men and coats for both kids and adults.

Where do the donations go? To its shop in Johnson County. People with vouchers can shop for free. Those who do not have a voucher can shop at a discounted price. Some items also are given to churches and other nonprofit organizations. On average, they help 100 to 150 people with vouchers per month.

How to donate: Donations can be dropped off at 606 Banta St., Franklin, during business hours, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.

Interchurch Food Pantry

What’s needed? Oatmeal, canned meat, jelly, peanut butter, cooking oil and items used for baking.

Where do the donations go? To the food pantry for families and individuals who are in need.

How to donate: Food drives at schools, churches and other locations throughout Johnson County, as well as monetary donations. Checks and other donations can be delivered to 211 Commerce Drive, Franklin. Business hours are noon to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday.

Megan’s Fund

What’s needed? General items, such as toys, hats, gloves, books, toiletries, etc. People also can sponsor families.

Where do the donations go? Megan’s Fund works through several schools and organizations to supply families that are in need, including toys for children.

How to donate: Checks made out to Megan’s Fund can be sent to 1041 Barefoot Trail, Greenwood, IN 46142. Monetary donations can also be made through “Megan’s Fund – Holiday Program” on For more information, email

Johnson County Senior Services

What’s needed? Gift cards, socks, diabetic socks, soft throws/blankets, no-slip slippers, gloves, soft scarves, cleaning supplies, paper supplies, canned foods, soups, crackers, beef stew, peanut butter, jelly, cereal, oatmeal and other foods that are easy to prepare.

Where do the donations go? Donations go to seniors in Johnson County who are in need.

How to donate: Donations can be dropped off at the office at 731 S. State St., Franklin. The office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Donations also can be given to the Key Bank in Franklin, 1750 Northwood Plaza Drive, Franklin.

Boys and Girls Club of Franklin

What’s needed? More volunteers are always welcome. Items of various types for children can be donated as long as they are in fully operational condition, such as robotics equipment for a new robotics club. Monetary donations toward the club’s programs and operational costs are also always accepted.

Where do the donations go? To the kids involved with the club’s activities through programs, toys, entertainment, etc.

How to donate: Donate by going online to or bring donations to the club at 101 N. Hurricane St., Franklin.

Girls Inc. of Johnson County

What’s needed? A campaign to renovate and expand the Franklin facility is underway, so monetary donations toward the campaign, as well as operational costs, are always welcome. The project is in phase two out of four, with $193,725 still needing to be raised. Sponsors for the girls also are needed. People can sponsor programs for a girl for $10 a week, or $40 a month, which goes toward after-school programs, meals and other activities the girl may be involved in.

Where do the donations go? Toward programming, renovations, scholarships and supporting the girls. No girl is turned away, even if she is unable to pay.

How to donate: Donations can be made over the phone by calling 736-5344. People also can come in to the office at 200 E. Madison St., Franklin, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Youth Connections

What’s needed? Monetary donations and more host families.

Where do the donations go? To several programs, as well as custody evaluations.

How to donate: Online at, or by sending checks to the office at 460 N. Morton St., Suite A, Franklin, IN 46131.

United Way of Johnson County

What’s needed? Monetary donations. The agency is in the midst of a $1.5 million campaign and is nearly halfway to the goal.

Where do the donations go? To the 17 agencies the organization funds, as well as the seven programs the organization runs.

How to donate: Visit or write a check and send it to 460 N. Morton St., Suite D, P.O. Box 153, Franklin, IN 46131. Payroll deductions are available at participating employers.

The Refuge

What’s needed? Refrigerated and freezer items, such as meat, dairy and yogurt, as well as hygienic items.

Where do the donations go? Any family in Johnson County in need.

How to donate: Drop off items at their office at 65 Airport Parkway, Greenwood. Business hours are 9 to 11 a.m. Tuesday and 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday. Or you can schedule a pickup by calling 889-7338.


What’s needed? Mainly monetary donations.

Where do the donations go? For people enrolled in the program, donations help them pay bills and keep them in their homes, or help them find new ones.

How to donate: Donations can be made on the website, or by going to their office at 1015 Grizzly Cub Drive, Franklin.

Salvation Army

What’s needed? The goal is to raise $90,000 this year, and the organization is about halfway to the goal. Monetary donations and canned goods are accepted.

Where do the donations go? To the City Fund that helps those in need of transportation, assistance, housing and meals for those living in Indianapolis and surrounding areas.

How to donate: Money can be dropped in red kettles outside several stores. You also can donate online at, and items can be dropped off at their Greenwood Family Store & Donation Center at 1285 N. State Road 135, Greenwood, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday.  For more information, call the center at 881-6216 or go online to

Tree of Caring

What’s needed? Sponsors to buy gifts for families.

Where do the donations go? Christmas presents for individuals in the community who are in need of basic items, such as clothing. Their needs, along with clothing sizes, can be found on paper ornaments on a tree inside The Place for Hair in Trafalgar. They are hoping to begin to disperse gifts today and Thursday.

How to donate? Send checks to Johnson County Community Foundation, P.O. Box 217, Franklin, IN 46131, and note that the gift is for “The Tree of Caring Fund.” Items can be dropped off at The Place for Hair, 100 S. State Road 135, Trafalgar, or can be picked up by Beth Reidel by calling 409-1464 to make arrangements.

Lord’s Locker

What’s needed? Monetary donations.

Where do the donations go? To help pay bills, utilities and rent.

How to donate: Monetary donations can be sent to the Lord’s Locker, 101 S. Pleasant St., Trafalgar, IN 46181. The Lord’s Locker will be closed Friday through Jan. 10 so that those involved in running the program can spend time with family.