Thanksgiving dinner is in a few hours, and you’ve procrastinated up until now to prepare a side dish to bring to your pitch-in event.
Stacey Faith, a food and nutrition educator for Purdue Extension Johnson County, has your back. Here are two quick, easy and healthy recipes to prepare in a flash.
Oven Roasted Squash with Garlic and Parsley
Serves 10, ¾ cup each
5 pounds winter squash (such as butternut), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss squash with 4 teaspoons oil, salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender throughout and lightly browned (around 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the variety of squash).
3. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not brown (around 30 seconds to 1 minute). Toss the roasted squash with the garlic and parsley. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve.
Nutrition: 104 calories, 3 grams fat (0 grams saturated, 2 grams monounsaturated), 21 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams protein, 6 grams fiber, 357 milligrams sodium
Roasted Herb Potatoes
Serves 6, ½ cup each
Vegetable cooking spray
1 pound potatoes (3 medium or 3 cups cubed)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon rosemary
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into ½-inch cubes, and put them in a large bowl.
4. Put the oil, rosemary and salt in a small bowl. Stir together. Pour the oil mix over the potatoes. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly.
5. Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Nutrition: 70 calories, 1 ½ grams fat (0 grams saturated), 0 milligrams cholesterol, 13 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams protein, 1 gram fiber, 190 milligram sodium