Helen L. Richardson


Helen L. Richardson, a former Greenwood resident, died Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015, at her home in Chevy Chase, Maryland. She was 92.

Born Oct. 25, 1923, in Bement, Illinois, Helen Louise Kallembach grew up in DeLand, Illinois, and graduated from DeLand High School in 1942. She moved to Indiana in 1943 to accept a secretarial job with Noblitt Sparks, later known as Arvin Industries in Greenwood. At the company, she met Murval D. Richardson, whom she married in 1944. He died in 1971.

The couple had two sons, Steven and Douglas. The family moved to Seymour in 1963. There, Mrs. Richardson was active in Central Christian Church and in volunteer activities with the Seymour Boys’ Club and the hospital guild at Schneck Memorial Hospital. She was active in P.E.O. chapters in Indiana and Maryland for more than 50 years.

Her husband died shortly after the family moved to Indianapolis in 1971. She then returned to work as an office administrator at Arvin’s factory in Franklin and worked there until her retirement in 1990. She moved to Maryland in 1995.

She is survived by her sons, Steven (Peggy) of Arlington, Virginia, and Douglas (Susan) of Washington, D.C.; a brother, Rex Kallembach of Monticello, Illinois; a sister, Barbara Twist of Clinton, Illinois; and six grandchildren, Will, Ben, Ella, Thomas, Gigi and Maggie.

In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by her father, Louis Kallembach; mother, Nanny White Kallembach; stepmother, Monzella Vaughn Kallembach; seven brothers, William, Louis and Robert Kallembach and Melvin, Loren, John and Stanley Vaughn; and three sisters, Betty J. Kallembach, Dorothy Grim and Mary Westmoreland.

Memorial service arrangements are pending.