With the Drake men’s soccer team in a 2-2 tie with DePaul and only four minutes to play, the Bulldogs’ Gabe Edel, a Center Grove graduate, scored the game-winner for Drake (5-2), his second goal in two games last week.
In a 4-0 defeat of Missouri-Kansas City, the sophomore scored the third goal for the winners, his first of the season.
- Indiana women’s soccer player Hannah Johnson took one shot on goal in the 3-3-4 Hoosiers’ 1-1 tie with Northwestern.
- Taylor’s Tyler Mills had three solo tackles, including a quarterback sack and two assists in the 1-2 Trojans’ 41-10 football loss to Butler.
- Joel Hale saw action as a substitute for the Ohio State football team (3-0) in a 20-13 win against Northern Illinois.
- Starting “Y back” Nate Wozniak caught three passes for 40 yards for the Minnesota football team (2-1) in a 10-7 defeat of Kent State.
- Starting defensive end Dillon Dallas had three solo tackles and one assist, including 2.5 sacks, for the Indianapolis football team (2-1) in a 26-24 win against Southwest Baptist.
- Ben Wheeler converted his only extra-point try for the Hanover football team (0-3) in a 35-7 loss to Rose-Hulman.
- Mario Swann saw action for the Indiana football team (3-0) in a 38-35 win against Western Kentucky.
- Alex Aukerman had one solo tackle for a one yard loss and one assist for the Army football team (0-3) in a 17-14 football loss to Wake Forest. Army has lost three games by a total of 10 points.
- The Franklin football team (1-2) defeated Anderson (0-3) 56-0. Dmitri Wilson had two solo tackles for the Grizzlies. Anderson’s Andrew Wozniak had three solo tackles; and Drew Ponder, who has two solo tackles and four assists for the year, broke up one pass for the Ravens. Anderson quarterback Luke Calvert completed eight of 20 passes for 55 yards.
- Competing for Ball State in the Milwaukee Tennis Classic, Luke Andersen won two doubles matches, 6-3 against Wisconsin and 6-1 against Valparaiso, and lost 6-0 to Marquette. In singles the junior lost 6-2, 6-4 to Marquette and 6-2, 7-6, 6-3 to Wisconsin.
- Marian tennis player Grace Neathery won her first singles match in the ITA Midwest Regionals, defeating Cornerstone 6-1, 6-0, but was eliminated with a 6-0, 6-3 loss to Northwestern Ohio. In doubles she won 9-7 against Huntington before losing 8-4 to Indiana Wesleyan.
- Wheaton tennis player Emily Jones lost 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 singles in an 8-1 loss to Wisconsin-Whitewater.
- Running in the 5K National Catholic Cross Country Championships, Xavier’s Delainey Burnett was 105th in a field of 299, seventh for the Musketeers, in 19:31.7.
- Ball State’s Jordan Timmons finished 29th of 34 runners, fourth for the Cardinals, in 20:54.34 at the Division I 5K Indiana Women’s Intercollegiate Cross Country Championships.
- Competing at the 8K Men’s Open (junior varsity and Div. II and Div. III) Indiana Intercollegiate Cross Country Championships, IUPUI’s Griffin Miller was 11th of 123 in 26:37.3; and Indianapolis’ Casey Wendorff was 66th in 29:55.0. In the 5K women’s Open, Franklin’s Jackie Rizzi was 79th of 93 in 24:30.9.
- The Illinois State volleyball team (10-3) defeated Jacksonville 3-2 and Eastern Michigan 3-1 and lost 3-1 to Dayton. Ali Line had 16 kills, 19 blocks and one service ace in the three matches.
- The Ball State volleyball team (6-8) lost 3-0 to Purdue and Notre Dame and won 3-2 against South Dakota. Mackenzie Kitchel had 19 kills (a high of 13 in the win), nine digs, one block and two service aces in the three matches.
- The Taylor volleyball team (7-7) defeated Marian 3-1 and lost 3-1 to Grace and 3-0 to Indiana Wesleyan. Jessi Arbuckle played in two games against Grace and one against IWU and had six digs and one kill.
- Hanover golfer Cassie Hendrickson finished 79th of 82, eighth for the Panthers, with scores of 111-94-205 at the Dan Quayle Collegiate Classic.
- The Rose-Hulman men’s golf team defeated Wabash, and Kent Kraus was ninth for the Engineers and 10th of 24 overall with a score of 83.
- Chris Heck was fourth for sixth-place Indianapolis and 31st of 47 overall with scores of 79-76-155 at the nine team Brickyard Crossing Golf Invitational.
- Emily Roberts won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 4 singles in Franklin’s 9-0 defeat of Anderson and 6-3, 6-1 in a 9-0 win against Manchester. The Grizzlies e 6-0 and have lost only two points in their six matches.
- Ashley Myers led the eighth place Franklin women’s cross-country team with an 18th place finish in a field of 146 runners at the 19 team 5K Indiana Small College Intercollegiates with a time of 19:55.
- Aaron Harris carried the ball 15 times for 150 yards and one touchdown and caught a pass for seven yards for the St. Francis football team (3-0) in a 45-3 defeat of Trinity International.
- Zach Rudolf assisted on one tackle for a two yard loss for the Manchester football team (1-1) in a 67-23 defeat of Earlham.
- Bethany Davis was third for 13th place Evangel and 68th of 145 overall in 20:58.38 at the Women’s 20 team 5K Southern Stampede Cross Country Invitational’s College/Junior College Division.
- Indiana State’s Danielle Muse finished 18th of 34 Division I runners , sixth for the Sycamores, in 19:17.1 at the 5K Big State Cross Country Invitational.
- IPFW’s Gabe O’Keefe was the only Mastodon runner to finish in the top 70 at the 8K Mountain Dew Gator Cross Country Invitational at the University of Florida. The sophomore was 25th of 85 competitors in 26:40.61.
- Trine tennis player Jake Scott, competing at the ITA Midwest Regionals, lost 6-0, 6-0 to Aquinas in the first round of singles and 6-2, 6-1 to Davenport in a consolation round match. In doubles competition, he lost 8-2 to Huntington in round one and 8-4 to St. Francis in the consolation round.
- Alexa West was second for seventh-place Marian and 12th of 83 overall with scores of 78-81-159 at the 13 team Dan Quayle Collegiate Golf Classic.
- The Cincinnati Christian volleyball team (4-3) defeated Brescia and Midway by 3-0 scores and lost 3-0 to Point Park. Ellie Abel had 50 assists, nine kills, 12 digs, six service aces and two blocks in the three matches.
- Bridget Marlow played in 11 games and had two digs and two service aces for the Trine volleyball team (4-7) in 3-0 losses to Hope, Ohio Northern, and Heidelberg and a 3-2 win against Otterbein.
- Starting linebacker Morgan Morrison assisted on four tackles for the Hanover football team (0-3) in a 35-7 loss to Rose-Hulman.
- Brenden Smith had one solo tackle for the Marian football team (2-1) in a 30-21 loss to Robert Morris.
- Katie Walsh was named Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Association Women’s Tennis Player of the Week after two wins in singles and two wins in doubles. The senior won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles and 8-3 at No. 1 doubles in an 8-1 defeat of Capital and 6-4, 6-0 in singles and 8-1 at No. 2 doubles in a 9-0 win against Carlow.
- Dayton’s Jade Kawamoto, competing at the Cincinnati Collegiate Tennis Invitational, won her doubles flight with wins against Morehead State (6-4), Northern Kentucky (6-4), and Valparaiso (6-3). She reached the finals in her singles flight with wins against Morehead (tiebreaker after splitting 6-2 sets) and Valparaiso (6-0, 6-2) before losing 6-1, 6-3 to Eastern Kentucky. Jackie Kawamoto split sets in her first round singles match against Lewis and then retired.
- Starting defensive tackle Lee Campbell had three solo tackles and two assists, including 2.5 quarterback sacks, in 2-1 Indianapolis’ 26-24 football win against Southwest Baptist.
- Griffin Oakes converted each of five extra point tries and his only field goal attempt, from 27 yards, and averaged 62 yards on five kickoffs for the Indiana football team (3-0) in a 38-35 win against Western Kentucky.
- Kole Stogner carried the ball nine times for 50 yards and caught a pass for 17 yards for the Franklin football team (1-2) in a 56-0 win against Anderson.
- Hunter Chadwell scored the only goal for the 2-3 Central Christian Bible College soccer team in a 1-0 win against Emmaus Bible and scored two of his team’s three goals in a 4-3 loss o Iowa Wesleyan.
- The Trine volleyball team (4-7) lost 3-0 to Hope, Ohio Northern, and Heidelberg and won 3-2 against Otterbein. Lauren Verkemp had 16 kills, 34 digs, five blocks, seven service aces and two assists in the four matches. Megan Verkemp had 26 kills, 12 digs three assists, two service aces and one block in three matches.
- Caroline Rogers had 24 assists, nine digs and one service ace for the John A. Logan volleyball team (10-5) in a 3-2 defeat of Kaskaskia.
- The Butler volleyball team (3-9) won 3-0 against Youngstown and lost 3-1 to Missouri and 3-2 to Southern Illinois. Jess Admire had seven kills in the first two matches.
- The Anderson volleyball team (4-9) won 3-1 against North Park and 3-0 against Knox and lost 3-1 to Aurora and 3-0 to Illinois Wesleyan. Karissa Wentzell had 34 digs, four service aces and two assists in the four matches.
- The Franklin men and women competed at the Indiana Intercollegiate Small College Open Cross Country Meet against Div. I junior varsity runners and competitors from Division II and Division III colleges. Hannah Jobe was 74th of 94 runners in the 5K women’s race in 24:12.9, and J. T. Sargent was 110th of 123 in 33:24.0 in the 8K men’s race.