Election tidbits – Tuesday

Tell us your story

Let us know how voting went for you today. Long line? Couldn’t remember where to vote?

Call us at 736-2712 or email newstips@dailyjournal.net.

Election Central

Get the latest vote totals on election night at the Daily Journal website, dailyjournal.net. Visit our website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest.

Some government offices closed

County and most state offices will be closed today. Greenwood and Franklin city offices will be open.

When to vote

The polls are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday.

What to bring

You’ll need a photo ID issued by the state or federal government to cast a ballot. In most cases, an Indiana driver’s license, Indiana photo ID card, U.S. passport or military ID is sufficient.

Need an ID?

License branches will be open today from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will only process new, amended or replacement ID cards, and renewed, amended or replacement driver’s licenses and learner permits.

To get an ID, you will need:

Proof of Identity document, such as a birth certificate or passport.

Proof of Social Security document, such as a Social Security card, pay stub or W-2.

Proof of lawful status, such as a birth certificate or passport.

Proof of residency, two documents such as a voter registration card, utility bill or bank statement.

What you can’t bring in

Voters cannot bring campaign-related signs, T-shirts, pins or other electioneering items into polling sites.

Who can and can’t vote

Only voters in cities and towns with contested races can vote in the primary election. Franklin, Greenwood and Whiteland have contested races. Edinburgh, Bargersville, New Whiteland, Prince’s Lakes and Trafalgar do not have contested races. Voters who live in unincorporated parts of the county do note vote in primary elections.

What’s different?

Vote center locations have changed, and fewer will be open on Election Day, due to the lack of contested races in some communities. Some of the busiest vote centers from past elections in the Center Grove area will not be open because voters in unincorporated parts of the county do not vote in municipal elections.

Need more information?

Voters can visit the Indiana secretary of state’s voter information portal at indianavoters.com to find information on whether they are registered to vote, how to cast an absentee ballot and the state voter identification law. Voters also can call the state’s hotline from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Election Day at 866-461-8683 to ask questions and report election fraud or accessibility issues.

The secretary of state also has set up a feature called Who’s on Your Ballot on indianavoters.com, where voters can find out information about what offices will be on their ballots.

Author photo
Annie Goeller is managing editor of the Daily Journal. She can be reached at agoeller@dailyjournal.net or 317-736-2718.